Skip to main content

Here is My Speech!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ideas for Engagement

In regards to promoting engagement, I also have several ideas that would make our CAJCL community even stronger and more well-known to the public. First, we could have a theme of the month in which each chapter would have the opportunity to create a video celebrating the theme. Then at the end of the month, I would create a recap of what each chapter did. For example, April’s theme could be Rome’s birthday. Each school would have a month to host a birthday-themed event and film it. Then to give each chapter's local community an idea about how great CAJCL is, we could also have a publicity theme of the month. For example, December's theme could be "Saturnalia Service," in which students are encouraged to volunteer or start a holiday toy drive, and January's could be to host an all-things Latin day for non-Latin students to get an introduction into the wonderful world of Roman history, mythology, and the Latin language. With this system in place, CAJCL would be more...

About Me!

Hello! My name is Ava Tynan, and I am running to be your CAJCL 1st Vice President. I am currently a junior at St. Ignatius College Preparatory in San Francisco, teacher's assistant for Latin 2 & 3, and 1st VP of our chapter's JCL board. I want to be your 1st Vice President because I have the necessary experience, skill-set, and passion to represent you. I have many ideas for how to inspire new schools to join CAJCL, make new members feel comfortable and welcomed, and promote our wonderful community. You can see the details about these ideas in my other posts and my instagram @VoteAvaFor1stVP . Happy reading!

A Long-Term Plan to Introduce Latin in Public High Schools and Recruit New JCL Chapters

One problem that I have noticed in my own community is the lack of Latin language options in the San Francisco United School District (SFUSD). Currently, there are seventeen high schools included in this district, but only one of the schools, Lowell High School, offers Latin. As these schools are all public schools, they should offer their students similar opportunities. Therefore, I want to try to make learning the Latin language more accessible for students in my area. Although I acknowledge that this problem will be a challenge because it would require government funding and support, I want to at least bring awareness to the issue in order to instigate change.  I would start this project by reaching out to the World Language Department head at Lowell High School, Mr. John Raya, and ask him how his school started Latin as a course option. I would also reach out to Lowell’s Latin teacher and ask if students would be willing to be a part of a video, in which students explain wh...